Nigerian global music star Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu, professionally known as Burna Boy, has just announced that his next album, Love, Damini, will drop in July, just in time for his birthday.
KAMPALA | NOW THEN DIGITAL — Global star Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu, known professionally as Burna Boy, has revealed that his next album, named ‘Love, Damini’, is slated to be released in time for his birthday – in July.
- Burna Boy disclosed the forthcoming album while performing at Madison Square Garden in New York last Thursday.
- ‘Love, Damini’ is set to be released in July to celebrate Burna Boy’s 31st birthday; fans can pre-order the album now.
- In 2020, he released his fifth studio album, ‘Twice As Tall,’ which debuted at No. 54 on the Billboard 200 chart, while his previous album, 2019’s African Giant, debuted at No. 104.
- At the 2022 Grammys, he was nominated for Album of the Year (for contributions to Justin Bieber’s Justice) and Best Global Music Performance (for “Do Yourself”), but did not win any awards.
- Earlier this month, Burna Boy’s collaboration with fellow Nigerian artist Mr Eazi earned the No. 1 spot on the ‘Top Triller Global’ chart.
- Read also: Nigerian music stars Wizkid and Tems are up for the “Top R&B Song” award at the 2022 Billboard Music Awards.
Burna Boy announced ‘Love, Damini’ on Thursday night at Madison Square Garden. Fans can pre-order the album ahead of its release in July as part of his 31st birthday celebrations.
Madison Square Garden was the first time a Nigerian artist headlined the venue. It follows his acclaimed earlier performances this year at London’s O2 Arena and LA’s Hollywood Bowl, as well as coast-to-coast festivals at New York’s Governors Ball and San Francisco’s Outside Lands.
The new project arrives two years after the release of his fifth studio album, ‘Twice as Tall’ (2020), which debuted at No. 54 on the Billboard 200 chart.
His last album, 2019’s African Giant, debuted at No. 104 on the list.
A few of the musician’s singles have been released since sharing his album in August 2020, including “20 10 20,” “Kilometre,” “Question,” “Want It All,” and “B. d’Or ft Wizkid.”
At the 2022 Grammy Awards, he was nominated for Album of the Year (for contributions to Justin Bieber’s Justice) and Best Global Music Performance (for “Do Yourself”), but was not presented with any awards.
The 30-year-old has seen success beyond his native African country and the U.S., with his music, also charting in Germany, Italy, Canada, Mexico, Spain, Switzerland, France, and the U.K. After a stellar career, Burna Boy’s album Twice as Tall topped the World Albums chart in the U.K. for 12 weeks.
Aside from appearing on the top 10 hit list, ”African Giant” also peaked at No. 6 on the World Album list, where it charted for a whopping 36 weeks.
Burna Boy has also appeared five times on the ‘Top Triller Global’ chart, with his hit single, “Miss You Bad,” featuring Mr Eazi, earning him the No. 1 spot earlier this month.
Additionally, Burna Boy will perform at the Billboard Music Awards in Las Vegas on May 15.
He will also lead a discussion on “The Explosion of Afro-Fusion” at Billboard’s first-ever MusicCon on May 13 before the show.