ABUJA, NIGERIA | NOW THEN DIGITAL — On the occasion of Nigeria’s 63rd Independence Day, Apple Music is joining the celebration with its Oshe Naija campaign. This initiative not only pays tribute to the rich history of Nigerian music but also acknowledges its ever-growing influence on global culture.
Over recent years, Nigerian artists have consistently achieved significant milestones on Apple Music, propelling their music to a rapidly expanding global audience. Let’s take a closer look at the achievements of the five most prominent Nigerian artists on Apple Music and discover five emerging talents making waves in the music scene.
Top 5 Nigerian Music Icons on Apple Music:
- Burna Boy: As the most-streamed Nigerian artist of all time on Apple Music, Burna Boy has shattered numerous records with his blockbuster albums. His latest release, “I Told Them,” not only broke the African record for first-week streams but also dominated the albums chart in a staggering 69 countries simultaneously, setting a new genre record.
- Wizkid: Wizkid still holds the record for the most-streamed African song ever with “Essence (feat. Tems),” which has consistently ranked in the Daily Top 100 in over 100 countries, three years after its initial release.
- Davido: In 2022, Davido made waves with his record-breaking album “Timeless,” garnering widespread acclaim and recognition.
- Rema: Rema’s Afrobeats hit “Calm Down” achieved significant success on Apple Music, becoming the African single with the longest run in the Global Daily Top 100.
- Asake: Asake’s music has made a significant impact, with an impressive 11 songs reaching the Global Daily Top 100.
Top 5 Rising Nigerian Artists on Apple Music:
- Seyi Vibez: Seyi Vibez has gained global recognition with his modern take on Apala, a traditional Yoruba-rooted genre. His song “God Sent” marked his entry into the Daily Top 100, and he has since had over 50 songs chart in 20 countries.
- Odumodublvck: Odumodublvck blends Drill, Grime, and Afrobeats, making him one of Nigeria’s hottest emerging rappers. His single “Declan Rice” achieved chart-topping success in Nigeria, contributing to a remarkable 3,500% increase in streams on Apple Music worldwide.
- Shallipopi: Shallipopi gained widespread acclaim with his viral Afrobeats hit “Elon Musk.” He secured his first No. 1 in Nigeria with “Ex Convict” and witnessed a remarkable 508% increase in streams in Nigeria and 467% worldwide after a remix with Fireboy DML.
- Victor Thompson: Gospel singer-songwriter Victor Thompson made a breakthrough with “This Year (Blessings),” reaching the Daily Top 100 in 58 countries and experiencing a 244% surge in streams worldwide.
- Bayanni: Collaborations between Nigerian and American artists are on the rise, exemplified by “Ta Ta Ta,” a collaboration between Bayanni and Jason Derulo. This track reached the Daily Top 100 in 54 countries and the top 10 in 20 countries, underscoring the global appeal of Nigerian music collaborations.