IMPALA has named British-Nigerian rapper Little Simz as one of the 100 Artists to Watch in order to further diversify the independent music industry in Europe.
KAMPALA | NOW THEN DIGITAL — UK-Nigerian rapper Little Simz is among IMPALA’s 100 Artists to Watch initiative. The initiative aims to improve diversity in the independent music market in Europe.
- IMPALA is an organization for independent music companies and national associations.
- In the new program, participating artists will be announced every spring and members can propose artists based on indicators such as diversity, innovation, and commercial success.
- IMPALA’s 100 Artists to Watch showcases key independent artists across Europe at different stages of their careers.
- Curated by members of IMPALA and its wider network, and launched through a partnership with YouTube, Little Simz joins artists from 30 countries across over 30 music genres.
- Last October, she took home the Best International Flow award at the 2021 BET Hip Hop Awards.
- Check out also: Ugandan singer Maurice Kirya announces his Sixth Album, “the Road to Kirya”, due May 6
This program replaces IMPALA’s ten-year history of the European Independent Album of the Year Award, which it has presented annually for the past decade.
In the new program, participating artists will be announced every spring and members can propose artists based on indicators such as diversity, innovation, and commercial success.
Little Simz will appear among artists from over 30 different countries and across 30 different genres as part of IMPALA’s 100 Artists to Watch initiative.
Curated by IMPALA’s members and launched in collaboration with YouTube, this project will highlight key independent artists across Europe at various stages of their careers.
Dan Chalmers of YouTube commented: “The independent sector is a key partner for YouTube and we are really excited about our collaboration with IMPALA on 100 Artists to Watch in Europe. YouTube gives creators and artists a platform to reach the world and enables them to get noticed across borders”.
Who is Little Simz?
Little Simz was born Simbiatu Abisola Abiola Ajikawo, a songwriter and recording artist.
She has built a successful career through a number of studio albums, EPs, and mixtapes, including Her Latest Album Sometimes I Might Be Introvert.
The 2021 BET Hip Hop Awards gave her the Best International Flow trophy in October last year.