According to media reports, La Liga giant FC Barcelona has agreed to offload star midfielder, Frenkie de Jong, to Manchester United.
KAMPALA | NOW THEN DIGITAL — Media reports suggest that FC Barcelona has reached an agreement with Manchester United to sell star midfielder, Frenkie de Jong.
- On Wednesday evening, Gerard Romero, a trusted Spanish journalist, said that a transfer agreement between the La Liga and Premier League giants was “95% completed” on his Twitch channel and via Twitter.
- De Jong was reported to be heading to Old Trafford in recent weeks, and an offer has already been made between the amounts cited.
- In joining the Red Devils ahead of next season, De Jong will be reunited with incoming manager Erik ten Hag with whom he reached the Champions League semi-finals, while De Jong won the award for the best midfielder in the competition.
- Barcelona paid €75million for De Jong’s services, but given the emergence of Pedri, Gavi and Nico Gonzalez in the centre of the park, Xavi Hernandez can free up funds to strengthen the attacking ranks by letting De Jong leave.
- Xavi has supported De Jong in public by calling him a difference-maker and noting that there are very few players with his level of quality.
- Read also: Cristiano Ronaldo, who plays for Manchester United, and his wife posted a statement on social media on Friday saying they lost their baby son, a twin to a girl.
Spanish journalist Gerard Romero reported the news on Wednesday afternoon on both his Twitch and Twitter accounts. He said a transfer deal between the La Liga and Premier PINC -1% League giants were “95% complete”.
“Before the end of the season and with a 95% probability, Frenkie De Jong will be transferred to Manchester United,” wrote Romero.
“It is a purely economic issue,” he added, in reference to the Catalans’ debts around the $1.5 billion mark.
“Barca needs to sell a player who has not been top at the club,” it was said of De Jong’s performances since joining from Ajax in 2019.
“The operation would be [completed] for between €70 ($73.6mn) and €80mn ($84.1mn) ,” Romero went on.
“We are on May 11 and the situation can still change. [But] at the club they are clear that if he continues for one more season and the player does not explode [into good form], he will lose value and Barca will lose money.”
☎️ NOTICIA @jijantesfc
Antes del final de liga y con un 95% de probabilidades, Frenkie De Jong va a ser traspasado al Manchester United. Es un tema económico puro y duro. El Barça necesita vender un jugador que en el club no ha sido top
Lo ampliamos en https://t.co/ddsJTtAFRd
— Gerard Romero (@gerardromero) May 11, 2022
Earlier this month, reports have already circulated that De Jong was headed for Old Trafford and that Manchester United was prepared to make an offer around the mentioned amounts.
If De Jong joins the Red Devils ahead of next season, he would be reunited with incoming manager Erik ten Hag, with whom he reached the Champions League semifinals during the 2018-2019 campaign while winning the competition’s Best Midfielder award.
De Jong’s effectiveness convinced Barca to shell out €75million for his services, but with the emergence of Pedri, Gavi, and Nico Gonzalez in the centre of the park, the club can afford to let him go while funds are freed up to sign reinforcements in attack.
The Barcelona manager, Xavier Hernández Creus however, has been publicly supportive of De Jong by calling him a difference-maker and saying that there are few players like him in the world.
“He’s the present and the future [at Barca]. He is a very important player for me. He’s capable, strong, he gets into the box. He has had some excellent games, but he has to be consistent,” said Xavi.
De Jong has also expressed a desire to remain on his current deal, which runs until 2026.